• Good to see digital nomads posting about these issues. Education is important and tax advice from a professional is equally important. Both are critical so that you can speak intelligently to your advisor and make sure you are in compliance.

  • Have you looked into Estonian E-Citizenship ? It could well be a solution for a few Digital Nomads at least.

    All Best
    Dan Lawrence


  • Lee Says

    Awesome post. Tax is one of the things you not only cannot but should not avoid. Compliance is critical to avoid any unpleasantness whether from your home country or the country you are working in. Homework is always a great idea no matter how well versed you believe you are

  • Jack Says

    You cleared my mind about double taxation treaties! Now I know I don’t need to bother about these since I plan to be tax resident in only one country. I wonder what you would advise about getting a 2nd citizenship. I’m Dutch and I could quicky acquire the German citizenship as well. I’m planning to retire in Thailand or Peru. I’m thinking “if the Dutch start taxing their citizens abroad like the US, I drop the Dutch citizenship and keep the German one”. But this could cut both ways. I wonder if two passports = two sources of trouble, or if two passports = more options and more ways of muddying the waters. I realise there’s no clear-cut answer for this.

  • Gregor Says

    Great info. Question is, what do you do? Where do you spend most of your time, where is your residency, where do you de late taxes?

  • jak Says

    I am trying to get a definitive answer to this question , I have even written to the OECD ,but heard nothing ,is there an international tax advisor out there who can clariffy it.I

    Take for example three separate situations:

    A retired German couple who have been residing in Spain , and have now decided to sell their house and to be permanently travelling having a Pension paid to them from Germany.

    A French web designer who works freelance and invoices his customers from a company formed offshore

    A retired British businessman who has been travelling for ten years and lives off investments and savings

    If any of these European Nationals , who have been travelling for the last ten years and are not actually based in any one country for longer than say a period of ten weeks but spends time in 5 or more separate countries and continents, how and what is their tax position.They are under the 183 day rule for most countries requirements as a taxpayer.
    They all clearly can prove they are genuinely constantly travelling.

    There many more clear examples of people who are not resident in any one location and many retirees who are wishing to travel extensively that would welcome a clear answer.

    How do they meet the new requirements

  • i’m living in country X as a tourist, their tax department doesn’t know me and doesn’t care. Citizenship in country Y and residency in country Z. I think Y and Z should be different countries to make stuff easier for you and harder for the bloodhound gang called tax department.
    (I can’t get residency in country X because I don’t fulfill the requirements, so I can’t be a tax resident either. I wanted to pay them taxes, but they refused..)
    I pay taxes in country Z, that doesn’t check if I am actually there. And what if they find out? Maybe they will pay back my taxes :) They won’t inform country Y anyway, they don’t even know I’m here -

    What I want to say is, be smart guys, think about what they know. And enjoy tequilas!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Subscribe to Backpack ME